CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 14, 2009

I followed a crochet pattern!

I have been crocheting for almost 30 years and so far I have avoided following a pattern. Let me explain. My aunt Norma taught me to crochet when I was about 12 and if she taught me more, the only stitch I remembered was double crochet (dc). So I made many, many, many scarves, afghans, and baby blankets with this boring stitch thinking I was quite talented. A few years ago I decided to learn knitting and then looming shortly after and I began to realize crocheting was much more than one simple stitch. I learned a few more, but avoided actually making something from a pattern. Not sure what I was so afraid of.


Then on Facebook, I found some old high school buddies. One suggested I look up his wife on Etsy (Jaybird Designs). I did and immediately bought a pattern for a really cute scarf. After much, much frogging, I finally completely the first one.


Jen (the designer) had a good laugh over my years of experience and difficulty completing an easy pattern. But I'm quite proud of conquering my fear and whipped out a second one.

I have since gone pattern crazy and plan to master a lot new stitches and stich combinations. Jen's work can be found at www.jaybirdDesigns.etsy.com

5 comments:

  1. those are great. I don't crochet but look so easy I may even attempt something like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job, just think of the new avenues you have opened! Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This scarf is gorgeous! I love the style! Also, for those who do not crochet this could very easily be made on the looms using my two peg loom knitting technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely scarves! Congrats on following your first pattern!

    ReplyDelete