CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 31, 2009

Fair entries--ugh what a day!

So I went to the fair today to drop of my lapghan and other items I'm entering and I must say I was surprised at how unpleasant the experience was. There was a LONG line of people waiting to check in and luckily when I got to the front, I passed through rather quickly since I had preregistered. That was the end of the pleasantries apparently.

I walked down to the needlework department table (after being misdirected several times) and waited in another line. I handed over my entry form to 2 ladies I'm guessing were just shy of 90. (FYI--I have no problem with the elderly in general). They started asking me for my items in the order listed on the form and argued over every one of them. They didn't know knitting from crocheting, yet seemed to dispute each entry as being the wrong category. Then they both felt the need to make snarky comments about each item (baby hat was too small, scarf looked like a belt, Steeler baby booties were just a silly idea, etc). The one lady had ragged fingernails and snagged 2 of the items before they got to the display tables.

When they finally finished insulting me and the items, they handed them off to the woman who displayed them according to category. She then made her own round of snide comments about each entry. I fully expect if I get each of the items back, they will be dirty, snagged, and obviously not winner of any ribbons.

What happened to the family friendly county fair that I remember as a kid? Perhaps if these ancient fair organizers are not happy about accepting this reseponsibilites, they shouldn't do it! I heard the ladies at the next table gushing over each entry given to them (flowers) and they were nothing more than ordinary flowers like the ones I got from the store to plant outside. Apparently, the long time fair entrants and friends of fair staff got the pleasant treatment only.

Guess I'll find someplace else to enter items next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment