CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Adventures with first flat panel and blocking

Well, after using looms for 2 years and only making tubular items, I decided to finally learn how to do flat panels. I had tried a year or 2 ago , but gave up as I couldn't figure out how to slip the stitches on the ends (still can't). But knitting them seeming easier, so I tried a scarf with super bulky Red Heart Zoomy. I ewrapped the whole thing--big mistake I guess. Not sure if the yarn increased the issue, but it rolled up to be 2" wide. I crocheted a border on it, but that didn't help, so I frogged it off.

So I had another first--blocking. I wet it completely, folded it in half (it was over 8') and pinned it to my ironing board.






After letting it dry, I took out the pins and was SO EXCITED because the scarf was perfectly flat. I picked it up, shook it out a little, and ZIP, it rolled back up again. Not quite a small as originally, but a tube nonetheless. I was rather discouraged because I had mastered the tube scarves ages ago and really wanted something nice and flat. I chatted with my list buddies on Yahoo and realized that the all ewrapping or knitting was the culprit and without purls, it was always going to curl. So, I decided to leave it like it is and promote it as a long scarf good for wrapping.

I love it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment